Sunday, August 7, 2011

Be Still?

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Everything looks and seems normal about life, but nothing really is. I'm terrified this feeling I have is the calm before the storm. Through these last few days of chaos and trying to digest what just happened to our family, I keep hearing God tell me to "be still." Really God, be still? Anyone who knows me at all knows that being still is not one of my strengths. I would sweep the sidewalk if there wasn't anything else to do. So, I'm trying to obey. I'm sincerely doing my best to let my heart and spirit be still. It's so hard when all I want to do is fix this mess. Again and again I am abruptly reminded that there isn't anything I can do to fix this. However, God can (and will!) and my job is to stay out of the way. I shared these thoughts with Donald and headed to work. When I got in the car, Chris Tomlin's song I Lift My Hands came on. If I had to sum up the message of the song it's this: Be still and let faith arise. Had I any doubts God could speak directly through music, they would be gone. God reminded me today that He is right beside me every second of every day and will sustain us through this trial of our life. Being scared and terrified isn't acting out faith. So these next few days I'm going to keep focusing on being still and using this time to let my faith grow. This makes me nervous because I don't think God would tell me to grow my faith in Him if I wasn't about to need it. However, I can honestly say I'm excited to see God show off in our life. And I'm even more excited to give Him ALL the glory for it.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I am so sorry! Hold your head up! Isaiah 45:2 - "I will go before you and make the crooked places straight"
Be still and see what he is working up in your life! We will be praying.

Laura Dawson said...

You are in my prayers multiple times a day:)