Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wishing for Classrooms & Chalkboards

I'm realizing that getting older doesn't mean you stop learning; it actually is the opposite. You keep learning only the lessons get a lot tougher than multiplication tables and they don't happen in classrooms on chalkboards. Donald and I started a class at church last Wednesday based on the the book "In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day." I really think God is going to speak to us through this study but I'll save that for another post. To get the class started the instructor asked everyone to introduce themselves and tell one thing they had done for the first time in the past 12 months. Of course our "first" thing was moving nearly 1,000 miles away from family. That seems like enough firsts for the year but today I got 2 more under my belt. I FINALLY chose a school to enroll Coco in for the upcoming school year. My Papa (mother's father) had it right when he said that nothing in life is free. The free VPK program here is wonderful don't get me wrong, but for someone brand new to the area it is not easy to figure out. Finding the obscurely located Early Learning Coalition took a few u-turns. Getting the voucher and figuring out real quick it's our golden ticket and not to be handed out lightly. Once you submit it, you get ONE time to change your mind/schools and that's it. Touring 6 schools all claiming to be the best; all having different learning and discipline philosophies. Choosing how important a faith-based program is versus one that's not. For an indecisive Libra like me, this was quickly turning into a tornado of pros & cons, none yielding a decision. As if divinely appointed, my dear friend Laura called this morning and gave me sage advice that helped me calm down and get the job done. She said, "just go with your heart and quit thinking about it so much." Well, that's just what I did and was able to choose what I hope will be a great Pre-K school for our daughter.

On an extreme high of having actually made a decision and feeling peace about it, the kids and I head to Target to pick up something for dinner. We're sitting at a redlight and of course one of the kids needs something. Keeping one hand on the wheel I turn around to help them, hear a horn honk and think the light must have turned green. I turned around to see that it was still red and wondered why the honk? Then, I feel a bump. Yep, another first for me...I got rear ended! Thankfully and most importantly, no one was hurt. I got out of the car to hear the lady calling the police saying she just got hit. WHAT?!?!??!?!? I quickly corrected her: "Ma'am, YOU hit ME." You can imagine that the next 45 minutes of waiting on the State Trooper was awkward to say the least. She claimed I backed up (seriously, at a red light on a super busy road?) and I claimed she rolled into me. Initially, the officer was going to site that no one was at fault. There were no witnesses and we had conflicting stories. That didn't settle well and I may have let some frustrations show. If you've never lived on one income, let me just tell you that having to fork out a $500 deductible to get a bumper fixed is a BIG, budget-breaking deal. I must have said something that triggered cause for him to do some more investigating. Sparing the details, he brought me the accident report and quietly remarked that he had listed the other driver as at fault & was giving her a ticket. Thank you Jesus! Needless to say, I gladly accepted the report, counted my blessings and scooted out of there before I had to see the smoke come out of that lady's ears when she got the news! I immediately called my Daddy to thank him for the gene that just couldn't help but argue a little when I felt wronged. And thank him for his example of how to do it in a Godly way.

The moral of this post? Even in my 31st year, God continues to teach me. There isn't a teacher standing in front of a classroom any more & the lessons aren't written on a chalkboard. Sometimes I find myself wishing for just that; I think it would be much easier. Nonetheless, He continues to teach me through great advice given by my friend and the great life lessons my father gave me. Honestly, I'm just thankful He finds me worthy to instruct.

No comments: